Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Thank you for all the words of encouragement about yesterdays appointment. First, we'll begin with the positive. Mason, after 3 1/2 long months of pumping, has decided that breastfeeding is a great idea!!! This is such a miracle to us. We're so proud of him and he is eating like a champ.
Next, we had a really good appointment yesterday. Dr. Ranelle was very good and allowed us to ask as many questions as we wanted. Some of the diagnosis, as I'm sure you know, is not great. Mason will be mentally retarded and have issues with walking and muscle development. To what degree of these things only God knows. Like Dr. R said Mason will write his own book. We were prepared for this so it was not a big shock. If we really sit and think about it it is overwhelming and upsetting. Our prayer is that we only focus on now not 10 years from now. Do what we can do to give him the greatest life possible. To be honest, it is easy now because it is not as obvious. I know it will get harder as he gets older. Of course, my heart breaks when I think about his life down the road. I just have to remind myself that God has it all under control. Things that seem so difficult to understand, God will give us the strength to cross that bridge when we come to it.
They still want me to get tested. There is a slight chance that I may not carry the gene. I would be very surprised but we'll do it. We can go the route of Invitro if we want to have another child. We would both love to give him a sibling. We will begin discussions on that in January. We think it would help Mason to have a brother or sister to push him along. We would wait until next summer to get pregnant. At least that is still a possibility.
As you pray, please pray that God will not allow us to get ahead of ourselves. Take one day at a time and enjoy it! Don't worry about tomorrow. I'm praying for Mason that he will know God and understand his word. That he will be able to share with others his testimony. We're hoping to receive more information on Thursday. We will be able to look at his brain and see how it is developing. We have lots of questions for the Neurosurgeon. I will update the blog again Thursday with what we learn from that appointment. I wanted to post great pics of Mason. The pic of He and Kevin is my favorite. Like father Like son. Have a blessed week.
Love you ,Wendy


Let him sleep for when he wakes he will move mountains



5 comments:

jmh said...

I remember when I first found your blog, through Kelly's Korner. I am of course, biased by thinking my two children are the cutest things ever, but I must tell you, I remember taking one look at your precious Mason, and knowing he was a very close 2nd! :)

My 7 year old son began having seizures when he was about 12 hours old. The NICU doctors told us that he could potentially have any number of things that would affect development later. Their "we have to wait and see until he misses a milestone" etc, made me very angry. I felt like I was mourning the loss of a "perfect" or "healthy" baby. I was angry at everyone, including God. I just didn't understand why HE would allow this to happen to MY baby! (There are days that I still don't). But, I learned to lean on Him more than ever. I appreciated my son more than I might have if there were no issues. I appreciated each and every milestone that he did reach because it was one less worry about what could be. It was hard to enjoy that first year of his life, as I felt I was always waiting for him to sit up, crawl, walk, talk, etc. But you know, he did ALL those things on an age appropriate level; all on time. He is now 7 and still has seizures from time to time. He takes two seizure medicines and has issues in school with memory and some other things. But, I wouldn't change him for the world. He is made exactly as God intended him to be.

I know what it's like (in a way) to feel how you do right now. You are probably mourning the loss of a healthy child as well. I know you are hurting and I am just so sorry that anyone would have to go through something like this; especially two people who seem as sweet as you and your husband. But God will get you through this. You will have wonderful, happy days ahead. Mason is just that much more special because God made him perfectly as he should be. He is beautiful.

You seem to both have wonderful faith and determination. I am so glad that you do...it will carry you through all the tough times.

Just wanted you to know that I just really felt for you in your last two posts because I remember what finding out there is an issue, with your first child, and also a son, felt like to me. I feel so much for you right now. If you ever want to email someone who has sort of "been there", please do not hesitate.

jball1980@vzw.blackberry.net

Prayers to all of you,
Julie (TN)

Unknown said...

He is precious!! I know what the doctors say but Mason is bound for greatness non the less. You are all in my prayers.....

Courtney Blando said...

Thanks for keeping us all updated, you all have been in my thoughts. And the new pics you posted are great! I love the one of him sleeping. But I agree, the one of Mason and Kevin is adorable :)

Jenny V said...

I absolutely love that picture of Kevin and Mason - so cute! Mason has such a beautiful light in his eyes - I know God has great plans for him. Hope we can see you all very soon!
Much love,
Jenny

adrienne said...

I love the boys in orange! He's smiling for camera!